1. Take snapshots ONLY when your VM is off
2. Take a snapshot when you have a clean environment
This is very important when you want to save future time setting your environments. It is always useful when you have to install some program all over again. So, every time you finish installing the OS, you should take a clean snapshot.
Do this if you want to avoid the effort of looking the snapshot one by one, trying to figure out which one has what you need.
4. Add detailed descriptions to the snapshots
Sometimes, when you want to install complex applications, you need:
- A domain.
- A certain IP configuration.
- A certain version of a specific database.
The environment could be so specific and atomic that you need to take everything into account to use it. The descriptions in the snapshots can help for this.